Friday, April 17, 2015

My Father's Name

Kepano, The Wanderer. My Dad should have given me his name. It suits my wanderlust so well.
It is a primal need. 

The actual physical need to get into salt water when Ke Kai, the ocean, calls out for my return.
The deepest part of my core being pulled, and there is no ignoring the call.
The Hawaiian blood that races in my veins demands to be satiated and subdued by the water's touch. It's like a riptide that searches me out to draw me back in. 
It's not a choice. It is an absolute need. Like breathing.
The moment that the salty air hits my lungs, I change.
My skin opens up and breathes out my burdens. 
My hair too unwinds it's tight curls and extends them in all their kinked up beauty
My feet touch the water, and Kai opens her arms enfolding me in her waves.
She heals me, calms me, soothes me, and cleanses my being

It starts in my back.
Like the strings of a delicate kite that is dancing on the wind, I am pulled.
Soaring ever upwards to the mountains.
Again, my soul has no choice but to move me.
The mountain is Poplcatepetl, and I, like Iztaccihuatl, missing him and dying in his absence 
My fingers need to feel the soil crumble through them, and my lungs to drink in the crisp, clean air
The mountain wind blows, and my soul, now light of it's worries, takes flight.
It takes me through canyons, down ravines, and winds me through on a dance through with trees
The mountains cradle me. Rocking me with gentle breezes and the lullaby of nature's symphony.
The earth recognizes and recharges my spirit
When she beckons, I will answer always. Urgently. Gratefully.

My roots extend from ocean, through desert and swamp, and high up into the mountain tops.
I become restless like a wild caught tiger now housed in a zoo.
I must roam
Seek out silence and allow myself to be stilled
Hula under the light of a new moon
Nourish my hair in the ocean's salty brine
Swim with dolphins in the mornings
Run with wolves through the night
Play with fire like Xiuhtecuhtli and feel its spark burn within me
Discover new places, connect with the people and immerse myself in strange customs

I am a wanderer, a gypsy soul, a flower traveling on the wind
I am a nomad traversing the cities, waters, and forests like the native that I am
Those that try to hold me down only succeed in watching my back as I walk away
Those who understand, accompany me on my journey and add enlightenment on my path
There is also that treasured one that travels at my side
We are a tornado and a volcano. 
Mesmerized, respectful and in full knowledge of each other's raw power, 
strength, weakness and beauty.

Look for me on the wind, I am there. 






No comments:

Post a Comment